Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 1st, 2012: Guild Windup for the Year

What a great evening of fun, friendship, food, and quilt talk!  43 members attended which has to be a record.  Lots of positive comments were floating around about the quilt show and I believe lots of ideas went to Colleen S. for next year's programming. 

Most of us knew that "some woman from North Dakota" won the raffle quilt.  We all had a good laugh when we found out that lots of us knew that, but hardly any knew that the "woman" is Kathy Williams' daughter.  That quilt found a home where it will be appreciated and loved.  Josie Church, a coffee pal of Marion's, won the table topper and we hear she is really happy with it.

With all this blasted rain coming down, I wish we were a 12 month quilt guild as, so far, I haven't needed the extra time for yardwork and gardening.  Good grief!  My tulips aren't even blooming yet.

President Gloria presented birthday girl Vi with some flowers on our behalf.  There was some question of Vi's age, so I'm going to say she is 75 ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Not only that, I'm saying her hands just turned 60 as they continue to do such exquisite hand quilting.  Vi, we're so happy you are one of us and we wish you many more blessed birthdays.


Gloria gave her farewell speech as president and got a little teary-eyed.  Could it be that we questionable quilters actually gave her some good memories of her two years as our president?  She certainly gave us good memories and good leadership and I agree whole-heartedly with her comment that we aren't "just a bunch of women" but, rather, a cohesive,
fun-loving, good-spirited group of creative women.

Donna and Gloria got in their president-to-be and president-past hug.


Gloria was shocked to learn that some members had show-and-tell.  What?  People worked on pieces in the short time since the show??  It seems so.  If you are surprised by that, just go to my previous comment about rain.  We certainly aren't gardening.

I showed this great purse that I bought at the show's sale table.  Lydia made it and then I added stackable buttons which I bought from vendor Liz of Tiger Lily Quilts.


Lydia showed a purse she made from The Quilt Patch's new line of fabrics.  Lydia, do you want to sell me this one too?  I love it!


Jaynie won a doorprize supplied by a vendor and she's already made up the kit.


The fabrics glimmer.


Eva rejoined us after her southern winter and had this quilt top to show:


Vi showed a stunning quilt top:

Here  is a detail of the embroidery:

Marion also had a quilt top, a t-shirt quilt, which had an interesting story to go with the central block.


Helen made this bag from fabrics she bought from one of the vendors.


Yvonne made this bag out of that ever-popular New York Beauty pattern.


We won't meet again until September, but I will post here from time to time if I find good quilt shops and/or quilt shows on my summer travels.  That may start with the Regina Show which is next Friday and Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment